Tuesday, March 30, 2010

beware of over-the-counter flea treatments

to say millie had a rough week would be an understatement.

she was scratching a lot and we saw a flea on her, so applied a hartz flea treatment to her neck. that night she chucked all night long.

we took her to the animal hospital the next morning and by then she was foaming at the mouth and near death.

the vet said she had severe pancreatitis and that this is often fatal in cats, especially older ones like millie.

she was put on intravenous fluids and medicine and stayed in the hospital for several days. she came home last night and is somewhat back to her old self.

the vet said this was not the first time she had seen this kind of reaction to a flea medicine. in fact, there are law suits pending against hartz for this very reason.

after a $1,000 vet bill, i think we've learned our lesson. thank goodness millie seems better but it was a terrible scare for us all!

we love our millie!

1 comment:

jessica said...

Aww bless your heart - its so tough when we have pet emergencies! Its really scary. Then it kills your wallet. I am glad she pulled through, and thanks for the warning... too bad Hartz can't pay your vet bill since they almost killed your precious Millie :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...